Tuesday, January 26, 2016



So -- it's officially the end of my first two days of the "Hack to Hero" Journey and there's (obviously) a ton of work left to do.

For the next 16 months, I’m going to update this blog daily or every other day depending on my work schedule. As I stated earlier, I have a full-time job, a soon-to-be wife and plenty of other daily obligations that routinely keep my golf clubs and I apart longer than I’d like – just like the rest of you dreamers!

In the coming weeks and months, I’m going to figure out exactly how the blog is going to be laid out, but I will be updating you on my game, diet, routines and anything else that you might find interesting throughout the process.

Here’s a look at today’s information, and an idea of what to expect going forward:

Weight: 251 lbs.
Diet:
-          2 McDonald's Chicken Sausage Biscuits
-          16oz Orange Juice
-          Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
-          2 Tacos from Moe’s, w/chips and queso dip (don’t judge me)
-          2 12oz Sprite Soda
-          4 20oz bottle of Spring Water
-          1 box of Hot Tamales candy
-          8oz whole milk
-          3 “Back to Nature” Thin Mint cookies
Exercise:
-          Hahaha – you’re funny.
Golf:
 Found out the course down the street is open, so despite frigid temperatures, I will be playing this weekend. Stay tuned…

I know, I know – that all looks pretty damn bleak. But it is day one and there are still more than 500 days until the 2017 U.S. Open. There’s a long road ahead, but I have made some strides. In fact, today, I even purchased gluten free, diet Thin Mint knockoffs.

Seriously, if you need more proof that I’m a bit of a sadist, just remember I started this journey at the height of Girl Scout cookie season.



Now, obviously, the goal of this project is to turn myself into a 1.4 handicap capable of qualifying for the U.S. Open at Erin Hills in 2017, but there are a couple of other ancillary goals to reach along the way.

First, I’m looking to drop 40 lbs., from my 251 lbs., current weight. Obviously, looking at the diet log from today, there’s plenty of work to be done there and, with a little diligence and a few hundred salads, the poundage ought to just fall off.

Second, I’m looking to create a blue print for any weekend hacker who wants to step up their game.

As much as it seems like these players who grace our television sets every Saturday and Sunday were touched by a superior golfing deity at birth, they, I believe, are mostly the product of sheer determination, hard work, persistence and a little God-given ability. Simply put, I want to show those who want it bad enough (not necessarily a PGA Tour card, but a better game and a healthier lifestyle) a way to get to where they want to go.

I’ve long joked that I’ve had nothing to overcome – but now, I realize that’s my hurdle. I’ve been blessed to spend my whole life with no real pressing urge to “get out” or make a better life – I had everything I ever needed and was wildly content to stay there: until I stated playing golf.

In golf, there’s always something to overcome. For me, I started as – to put it bluntly – a shitty golfer. I won’t put you to sleep here with all the details of my golfing past – that will be coming soon! Long story short, I write this as a 3.7 handicap – down from an estimated 30 handicap as recently as the summer of 2010. Ever since graduating from college, my focus (when not forced to attend to life’s other obligations) has been improving my game and the results are there. That’s why I truly believe I’ve got the chance to do something special during this journey.

Of course, I can’t do this on my own – so I’m looking to my fellow golf lovers for help along the way.

If you have any recipes, exercises or information that have helped you and might help me, I’m open to it – this is a community project for all you golf nerds like me, I just happen to be (and am honored to be) the lab rat. You can message me on Twitter @HacktoHero27 or via email at hacktohero27@gmail.com.

Come back Thursday for more, and a detailed look at my week and progress.

As always, thanks again for following along!


-Matt 

P.S. Follow my exploits on Instagram.com, @HacktoHero27 

No comments:

Post a Comment